As a mom to two great kids, Mel knows that every child on the Upper West Side deserves access to a world-class education. That’s why Mel took on one of the biggest developers in the city to get the new school at Riverside Center for our community. Mel has a record of groundbreaking advocacy for educating every Upper West Side child.
What Mel Will Do About It
- Support child-centered curricula, not teach-to-the-test instruction.
- Keep class sizes small, with space for each child -- no charter co-locations.
- Develop a priority high school option for School District 3.
- Expand professional development, mentorship, and support programs that ensure teaching excellence.
What Mel Has Already Done
- Stood up to the developers of Riverside Center to win the first new public school in the district in 30 years - paid for by the developers, not taxpayers.
- Negotiated a deal in which half of the slots in a new private school were set aside for neighborhood kids.
- Served as Chair of the Ethical Culture Fieldston School PTA, championing a successful increase in school diversity from 16% to 40%.